After their attacks on climate science, industrial lobbyists target the scientific evidence on air pollution
A nebulous coalition of industry-sponsored players, deregulation lobbyists and the far right has formed to deny or downplay the health impacts of air pollution, just as they did with tobacco and fossil fuels. It’s happening in India, the United States and Europe, France included.
France’s Blatant Disregard for the Health of its People – How the Government and Lobby Groups have been Pushing Diesel Cars
The large majority of France’s car fleet runs on diesel, despite its lamentable health effects and the enormous costs involved for society. But who is to blame? Since the eighties, political authorities, industrial figures and transport professionals have persistently backed the diesel engine even though its emissions have always been recognized as extremely harmful – and even carcinogenic. And the evidence continues to mount against it. But the French government recently announced an increase in the price of diesel. After thirty years going backwards, is there hope that things will finally change?
- 02.09.2016 Europe’s "Smart Borders" Would Automatically Monitor Individuals
- 26.02.2016 Are the Chemical Industry’s Interests Taking Precedence Over People’s Lives in Europe?
- 04.02.2015 Accounting giants take on the world
- 23.09.2014 The UK: latest front line in the European shale gas battles
- 11.07.2014 Ilana Solomon: "In terms of climate and energy policy, TTIP takes us exactly in the wrong direction"
- 06.06.2013 Why French big business is obsessed with shale gas